Monday 17 June 2013

Running

 

1.       Running is a constant struggle. Niggling injuries. Difficult to get out the front door. Dour, tough training. Back / knee / shin / ankle pain. Frustration. Too easy to say no.

2.       Running is gliding along a road. Pain – free. Head space, relaxing and enjoyable. Exercise but seems like little effort involved. Controlled. Easy. Pleasurable.

The difference?
Chi running. Did a course with Catherina McKiernan three weeks ago and I’m a convert. There have been times during and since the course when running seemed almost Zen-like, gliding along the seafront. Really relaxing. My attitude has completely changed from measuring distance and time to relaxing, concentrating on technique and enjoying being out.

In addition, you get to spend a day with a friendly, down to earth legend with an incredible passion for running. She is only too delighted to help everyone from experienced, top level runners to people who are starting out (generally the high side of 35 and carrying a few pounds J)
Check it out (€150 for the day)….

Print this post

3 comments:

board tc said...

Interesting to read your experience I have been looking at that class for a while now and actually came close to going last year but it never worked out.

I was really wondering if it was possible to learn enough in 1 day to be able to change your running style.

I was looking at the different running styles when considering the course.

I have a friend who swears by the Pose method.

Another friend was getting constant pain at the top of his tibia running in his usual shoes and after reading Born to Run got a minimalist shoe - Merrells trail glove.

My mate says "there is very little difference between the Pose and Chi methods - Romanov (Pose) has the medical background in biomechanics and the US Tri team have him as a consultant. Danny Dreyer (Chi) is more of an empirical man but they aren't really opposing methods at all as far as I can see."

I see you tagged your post triathlon, are you training for one?

Unknown said...

Fascinating topic. I'd be into doing this class with you sometime Tom. Garbhan, how've you found it since, and how did you get on in the Dunshaughlin 10k? I find tai chi/qigung really good for race prep - strengthens legs & lungs, good for posture and alignment on the bike (and in general) I think. I mentioned chi running to my tai chi teacher a while back, and half-jokingly suggested he come up with something similar for biking. A few weeks ago I came across an ad in a bike shop for... chi biking :)

blocker blake said...

I've found it really great - with limited training I did the Dunshaughlin 10k in 43.36 - well inside my target of 48 mins. I did a 5k trail race in the Phoenix park the following week in 21.06 (which could have been better if I didn't get caught at the back at the beginning). Really feel that I'm only beginning.

I'm finding it easier to get out the front door - it's more enjoyable and relaxed than my previous approach of tracking time and distance and going full out all the time. From GAA training, you're at nothing unless you have half the team throwing up on the sideline. Running / training for enjoyment (and not going flat out every session) is very new and very welcome!

The principles are very simple (straight body alignment, lean forward, let gravity take you into a controlled fall), however I think that you'd need to do a half day or day session to really get it right.

I saw the Eamonn Coughlan documentary on Brother Colm O'Connell in Kenya recently (incredible story)

http://www.achillesheel.co.uk/blog/film-man-on-a-mission

The approach is the same - and you can see it in the training sessions he coaches - even for the top class Olympic champions. F.A.S.T. (Focus, Alignment, Stability, Tempo). You can see the style / technique in all of the runners.

Right so, enough talking, I'm off for a run.

Post a Comment

You Can Add Images, Colored Text and more To Your Comment.

Image: [im]Image URL Here[/im]
Colours: [co="red"]Comment Text Here[/co]
Marquee: [ma]Comment Text[/ma]
and more..

Subscribe via FeedBurner