Tuesday 16 October 2007

What about them Rockies!

I was just going to start writing baseball before I got side tracked by
George Monbiot's excellent investigative journalism on Gary Player
building golf course in Burma. And then I get a text from Blaker, just
now, how about them Rockies! The cat's out of the bag!

This October has been a project of some weeks. Moving into a house in
Andover which had channel 5 but not digitally, meaning I could not record
on the PVR and therefore not watch in it's entirety (can't do
3/4 am's with this job). A fiend told me about joost - where you can
actually watch al the playoffs games live and highlights over the web -
it's awesome, an easy download and works great. But I fancied the bigger screen.

The land ladies big tv is an 80s model and it took a post on the uk.tech.digital-tv newsgroup to find somewhere I could buy an adaptor to convert from it's 7pin din to scart so I could connect the PVR. Then I had to talk our 60 year old land lady into splashing out 200 quid (she's getting enough short term lease money from us in fairness) to upgrade her aerial to digital. This happened last Friday - 3 weeks before we are out of the house!

So it was with much satisfaction and anticipation I finally sat down at 11
last night with a port and ice to watch baseball - Channel 5's Sunday night
show recorded. Got a good summary of what's been going on so far - wow,
another early exit for the Yankees, Hall of famer to be, Joe Torre, is in
trouble with Steinbrenner's sons taking over.

And then it was game 3 of the Rockies! Crazy stuff. 12 years ago I scalped
into the Rockies only 2 previous playoff games (before this season) in
Coors field with Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux pitching. Now here they were
with a home grown team - the only players I know are Helton & Matsui.

Watched the first 3 innings fully focused but then had to do other stuff
like booking ferry...a wee bit busy getting the loose ends tied up...but
before I crashed it was still 1-1 in the 5th. I'll still watch more
tonight even though the result is now known! Thanks Gav :-) I fancied the
Rockies anyway, 2 up coming back to Coors, no way for the diamondbacks.

My favourite time of the year!! Print this post

2 comments:

blocker blake said...

I had an end of regular season subscription to MLB.com for 7 dollars -
it's going to get me right up to the end of the World Series - but will
check out Joost. Just back from NY yesterday - really disappointed that Yankees were out so early - even if I didn't get to a game would have loved to have been in the city while they were in the playoffs. Caught some of the games while I was there - game 2 of the Red Sox and Indians went 5 1/2 hours (extra innings) until nearly 2am - Indians scored 7 runs in the top of the 11th.

It's definitely my highlight of the American sporting year - I'm not great for the 3am/4am mornings in front of the computer - although will probably sleep in the fold out bed in the office tonight for game 4 of the Sox/Indians.

The Rockies story is incredible - they have won 21 from their last 22 games. I watched the last Brewers game in the regular season on a Sunday night - they beat the Padres, and the Rockies won their final game to tie for the NL wildcard. Playoff on the Monday was a classic - Padres hit 2 runs in the top of the 13th inning, only for the Rockies to come back with 3 in the bottom. Amazing stuff. They had won 14 of their final 15 regular season games to force the playoff.

Got back from NY yesterday morning - came straight to work - then to
John Prine in the NCH last night - fantastic gig. I feel like Tom!!!!!!

GB

blocker blake said...

OK, so it will be a late night on Thursday - have a feeling that the Indians will clinch it and no baseball over the weekend. Great start for the Sox - homer in the first - although they have given up two hits with no outs in the bottom of the first.

Can't believe that the Yankees only offered Joe Torre a one year contract - after 12 successful years - and he's walked away from it. I remember during the '96 Series his brother was very sick (heart condition if I remember correctly) and he was heading straight from the stadium to the hospital. He was very dignified and it was impressive the way he handled the situation. Must say that I'm sorry to see him go. When the owner decides it's time there's not much that can be done, regardless of how good the coach is.

Indians score in the bottom of the first - 1-1. Ominious.

Post a Comment

You Can Add Images, Colored Text and more To Your Comment.

Image: [im]Image URL Here[/im]
Colours: [co="red"]Comment Text Here[/co]
Marquee: [ma]Comment Text[/ma]
and more..

Subscribe via FeedBurner