Tuesday 29 June 2010

What is Cyclo-Cross?


Cyclo-Cross (CX) has been around for over a century, but is still relatively unknown in this part of the world - here's a good description in Wikipedia. As I mentioned in my earlier WAR post, I borrowed a CX bike for that event - it's a true hybrid, a racing bike which is robust enough to be used off-road. It also seemed like a perfect commuting bike, so I've since bought a Specialized Tricross on the 'bike-to-work' scheme. It makes a huge difference, especially on the climb home.

I've also tried it from the house to the top of 3 Rock, a savage climb at the best of times, and have beaten the 30 minute barrier which was impossible (for me anyway) on a mountain-bike. Within reason, it's been possible to do many of the off-road tracks in the Dublin Mountains - but there is a threshold of steepness and 'rockiness' beyond which you need a mountain-bike - the CX just doesn't have the required traction, braking power or comfort which fat tyres, disc-brakes and a suspension provide.

Some of you may have heard of Robin Seymour who "has dominated Mountain biking and cyclo-cross in Ireland and has been Irish Mountain bike champion 14 times consecutively between 1993 and 2007 and 15 times the Irish cyclo-cross champion. Between 1991 and 2008, Seymour was beaten only twice in the Irish cyclo-cross championships...".

As it happens, the current national CX champion is Joe McCall who's a neighbour of mine - I've chatted with him before and met him when heading out for a spin last night. He modestly mentioned that he's leading the Elite NPS (National Points Series) in mountain-biking - round 7 this weekend on 3 Rock and a couple of us are planning to enter. On CX, he told me he reckons "it's the toughest sport in the world, great craic!". I'll have my excuses ready if he offers to take me out for a pedal sometime.

Here's an interview with Joe after he won the Nationals, worth a read:

After yesterdays victory in St. Anne's Park in Dublin we caught up with the new cyclocross national champion to ask him a few quick questions.

mtbireland: Well it's been a long time coming Joe but how do you feel now that you're National Cyclocross Champion?

Joe: Thank God that’s over, that’s how I feel! It is great being a national champ. It’s a niche discipline in a niche sport, but its still good to win.

mtbireland: I have to ask about the age thing, at 37 years young do you think it's age is an issue in cross?

Joe: Sure it is. Age is an issue now in everything I do, biking, getting out of bed, etc. Everything is just a little bit more tiring.

mtbireland: Coming into the race how confident were you feeling?

Joe: Very confident. You have to be confident in cross. Its so friggin hard that you cant have any doubt. I considered myself the favorite and rode the race that way.

mtbireland: Were the cross champs a specific target for you?

Joe:
Absolutely. Time is limited these days and training for cross is not too time consuming.

mtbireland: What has your preparation been like the past few months?

Joe:
Prep was ok. I’m not living the life of a pro, day to day things are all in there.

mtbireland: What about specific cross training?

Joe:
Yeah, that’s where this year was different. I did Robins Tuesday night training and Marks ghetto cross races at the weekend. Also, riding in and out was work was great, every light, every corner was a sprinting opportunity.

mtbireland: About the race? Did you have any specific tactics on the day?

Joe:
Fla’ ou’.

mtbireland: How do you think the absence of Robin, Roger and Conor affected things?

Joe:
It made the race easier for me, that’s for sure. After the 3rd lap I was able to back off and maintain the gap. I would have preferred if the guys were riding, I think I had the form to be very competitive. I would have still rode the race for the win.

mtbireland: Cross has gained a lot more interest in this country in the past few years, why do you think that is?

Joe:
Because people are finally seeing that its actually the best sport in the world. No other cycling disciplines are you so out of control for so long. If you rode like that in XC or DH, you would be in hospital. I was sideways everywhere for 1 hour!

mtbireland: You did your first cross champs in 1991 and finished 3rd. How has the sport changed?

Joe:
Better bikes, better riders, INFINITLY better courses.

mtbireland: Stilly question but for the 2010/2011 season will you be back to defend your title?

Joe:
Defo, should be up north next year so hopefully I’ll get to ride against Roger, Conor, Lewis, Glenn etc. Print this post

11 comments:

harty said...

Great post Dave and well wear on the bike. Bike to work is a great scheme. Does it have a triple on the from like a mtb or a double like a road bike? Also, what is the cassette at the back, 12-25/26 or bigger?

Ring of Kerry awaits this weekend, I'll blog it afterwards (if I'm alive). Typically, the weather doesn't look too hot for this weekend, but I'll take rain over punctures any day.

mcg said...

Hi Conor,
Triple front ring, which is critical for the local hills (most CX bike have only 2). I have no idea how big the rear links are, that's a bit nerdy even for me! Best of luck this weekend, look forward to reading all about it Conor.

board tc said...

McG, fascinating read. Have you experienced what Joe talks about re being able to ride out of control for long periods on them? I am jonesing for one now, but better start getting out regular on one of my other bikes first before I can justify it!

Conor, tech query on cassettes, you've come a long way son!

Ring of kerry! I cycled that in 10 days in 1985 with Matthew Webber, my first trip on my own. On our last day we cycled 85miles from Killarney, as a 16 year old I was chuffed! You might do it a little quicker this weekend! haha!

harty said...

Was in Siopa Rothar yesterday and what's in the window at the moment? It's only a Giant Cyclo-Cross bike. Nice looking machine.

Bike to Work has been some success and it sure took the sting out of buying my one.

As soon as I do the ROK we will start praying for Mr McGrath who is contemplating the Lost Sheep Triathlon. For those who don't know about it, he will be doing a 90km mountain stage sandwiched between a 3km swim and a half marathon. Now that's endurance.

mcg said...

tom - 9 days to do 100 miles, and then 85 miles in the final day - now that's progress...

conor, but do you use it to bike to work? ;)

mcgrath - lost sheep triathon, insane - tell us more?

harty said...

Oh Dave, you are so pure of motive, so pure that if it wasn't for those kids you'd pass for a virgin.

mcg said...

Now that's the Harty we know and love. neatly sidestepping the question to boot :)

mcg said...

Tom, I've been out of control on the CX alright (not in the context Joe mentions though). Tracks which are very do-able on a MTB are much tougher on CX, once you get to a certain level of steepness. Hard on the arms, and suspect I'll be going through brake blocks fairly regularly.

Martino said...

You may want to try SwissStop brake blocks then, although we have not changed any of our XT blocks after 6000km and countless descents.

How many gears on the bike Dave, and what size cassette?

mcg said...

For the geeks who've asked - the triple chainring is 52 x 42 x 30T. Cassette is 8 speed, 12-25T. Incredible that you're still on the same brake blocks Martin. Would love to read a post about some of the kit you're carrying, bike setups etc.

Martino said...

yeah, been thinking of a geek post alright. The set up is pretty much mountain bike on a steel Thorn (sherpa), a super strength frame. Got a 24-34-46 chainring and an 11-34 cassette, so a 24/34 ratio for the hardest ascents, but with 35kg of gear it is necessary. Most climbs are coming in 8% average, but can get up to 20%, and sometimes you can climb for several hours or dozens of kms, and spend the whole day recently >3000mtrs. Custom build 26" wheels (rigida andra double walled rims with 36 spokes and XT hubs). Simply because cracked rims are a major problem with touring. I will blog this in more detail sometime

Post a Comment

You Can Add Images, Colored Text and more To Your Comment.

Image: [im]Image URL Here[/im]
Colours: [co="red"]Comment Text Here[/co]
Marquee: [ma]Comment Text[/ma]
and more..

Subscribe via FeedBurner